Old 09-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #10
jp_ottawa
Max Brawn
Points: 3,380, Level: 36 Points: 3,380, Level: 36 Points: 3,380, Level: 36
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Training Exp: 1 year
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: bench press
jp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributorjp_ottawa is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
To really answer this question fully, I really need to know how you set up on the bench.
1. How is your arch?
2. Where is your foot placement?
3. Are you able to keep your shoulder blades together, and lats tight?
4. Are you brining the bar down with the lats, or are you losing your arch?
5. What is your bar travel on the way up? Is it straight up, or is it in an arch?

The bar travel will not be perfect every time, but you need to know what your strongest groove is. You are right with the concept that there is no need to add bands/chains untill you can move the given weight as quickly as it needs to be. Its not about how much weight you move, but more about the explosiveness you complete the lifts with. To give you a reference point, I use 205 when I am doing some Dynamic effort work. I have benched well over 700lbs in a shirt. Most people are shocked with the amount of weight you can add to your benchpress in just a few weeks of working on set up and form.
Thank you, these are very good points.

Arch: for my arch, I focus on upper back, and can fit a 6'' foamroller under my back. My bodyweight is mostly on my traps, but it tends to shift downward as a pull the bar down.

Foot placement: my feet are placed flat, past the bench. If I tuck my feet under my body, I can't keep them flat (the meets I go to follow IPF rules).

Shoulder blades: to get tight delts, I try to pull the bar apart at all times during the lift. to practice, I take a mini band, and pull it apart with my wrists as I bench.

Lats: that's a weak point for me. How can I practice keeping my lats tight as a pull the bar down, and maintain my arch?

Bar travel: I press the bar in a straight line as much as possible. other guys like to push towards the rack, but I find it easier just to press up.

I'm hoping you are right and I can add some pounds to my bench by getting my setup right.