Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlifter62 View Post
I've been lifting for over 30 years, and as her father, her health and safety come first to me, so I am her "real" coach.

Yes you are right that kids often bring their knees together. We (my wife and I) taught her to overcome that tendency. Doing that is a bad thing, not a good thing.

In criticizing her form, keep 2 things in mind. First, she is doing powerlifting style squats (obviously) which have the bar lower on the back, and thereby bending somewhat forward, than would be true with more conventional types of squats. Actually, by powerlifting standards, her form is decent. Second, form does tend to degrade at higher weights. The third one broke a world record, for the weight class, not just for her age. Certainly, by any reasonable standards, that qualifies as a high weight.
1. Welcome to M&B.

2. Most of the regulars here are very knowledgable, including knowing what a powerlifting style squat is.

3. Form can go a bit when heavier weight is lifted, but sometimes when form goes in certain ways it shows weaknesses that need to be addressed. Knees should never be allowed to move in at all, as far as I'm concerned. If they move a single inch inwards while coming out of the hole, then there's a problem that should be addressed while training, not to mention that some great postior chain power can be harnessed if the knees are pushed out correctly. I bet she'd be lifting MORE if she had tighter form.

You said you're addressing the issue and that's great, but as far as I'm concerned if she can't squat a max lift without placing herself in such a vulnerable position, then weight should be lowered and form should be worked on before she actually starts lifting in meets in the first place.

This is 100% my opinion, and I'm sure her health and safety is very important to you. Everyone with interest in strength training is very interested in seeing what she'll do in a few years!
Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote