View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #41
Tannhauser
Max Brawn
Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100 Points: 138,239, Level: 100
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%

Training Exp: 30+
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Front squat
Fav Supp: Creatine. C'est tout.
Tannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite memberTannhauser is an elite member

Book thread, cool.

Over the summer, I read:

Shirley by Charlotte Bronte. Apparently Shirley was considered a man's name until this book? Charlotte Bronte chose to give her heroine a masculine name to go with her somewhat masculine personality, and it caught on as a girl's name.

I love this sort of regency stuff - all a bit twee at first sight, but behind the curtseys and the lace caps, the knives are out.

Private Memoirs of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg. A very strange book, half of ithe dialague written in impenetrable scottish dialect. OK as a prot-Gothic novel, but not something I'd rush to read again.

Them by Jon Ronson. A journey through the mad world of extremists and conspiracy theorists of all sorts: from Omar Bakri to White Supremacists, Alex Jones to David Icke. Right up my street this one, and he has that whole Innocent Louis Theroux schtick going on (in fact, I wonder if Theroux got it from him). Very cool and funny.

Currently back onto gothic and reading Anne Radcliffe's The Mysteries of Udolpho. Emily has wept bitter tears every page for the past 80 pages or so, and it's taken 200 pages to get to the castle. What you might call a slow burner.
Tannhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links