View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #57
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim83 View Post
this is all very true, but i am also becoming a believer in explosive movements like the olympic lifts and cleans. those can also help to pack on a good bit of mass
I don't have those ruled out of the 10-12 lifts, but I wouldn't recommend them until:

A) I trust the lifter.
B) The lifter has built some core strength.

I believe the equation is: Force = Mass x Acceleration. Force to me is the definition of explosiveness.

A fast bar speed simply means that there was a greater acceleration over time. Acceleration times increase when weight decreases. Heavier reps/reps towards failure tend to be more explosive simply because the lifter needs to explode out of the gate to complete a rep.

These are the reps that count the most. According to the Carpinelli meta study, which can be referenced in the writings of Clarence Bass, the last reps are more important, regardless of the training style.

Weight Training With Effort - Many Ways

Quote:
“A maximal or near maximal effort simply ensures maximal or near maximal voluntary unit activation,”
The only reason I mention this is simple because I believe all heavy forms of lifting to be explosive. I consider the Olympic movements to be complex - moreso then explosive, therefore a beginner should not do them until they have some core and stabilizer strength built up.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 12-27-2009 at 02:35 PM.
BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote