View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #56
Grim83
Director: TGZ
Max Brawn
Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53 Points: 6,663, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Grim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributorGrim83 is a dedicated contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
A relentless pursuit of progression using maybe 10-12 core heavy compound movements and a diet that is 500-1000 calories over maintenance. Train 2-4 days per week...depending on the individual.

I know this sounds "vague", but it is how I would train anyone that asked me for help - until they hit a 1000 to 1200 lift total on the big three.

If I had a typical skinny hardgainer, I would do something like this:

Month 1: Train 2 days a week, John Christy style A/B split...learn the basic movements and good form. Start to progress.

Month 2-4: Train 3 days a week, A/B split - MWF. Alternate workouts.

After this point I would assess the progression. Some guys might need twice per week AB, some guys 3 times per week HLM fullbody, and those that are progressing quickly - I would place on a 3 or 4 day split.

I believe fullbody routines and AB splits are best for most, but for the "easier" gainers - I want them to hit each bodypart harder for a while to see what happens.

After they reach a 1000-1200 3 lift total, which should happen in the first 2 years, it's time to better look at goals...do you want to try bodybuilding, powerlifting, etc. I don't believe guys in their first 2 years of training should use any complicated powerlifting/bodybuilding schemes, techniques. Just hit weights and get a good total, then assess progress.
this is all very true, but i am also becoming a believer in explosive movements like the olympic lifts and cleans. those can also help to pack on a good bit of mass
User owns 1x Super Squats

No Bullshit no problems

My Blog- http://grim83.blogspot.com/
Grim83 is offline   Reply With Quote