View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #55
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuse2 View Post
BTB, in your opinion, what is the BEST, Fastest way to put on mass and strength?
A relentless pursuit of progression using maybe 10-12 core heavy compound movements and a diet that is 500-1000 calories over maintenance. Train 2-4 days per week...depending on the individual.

I know this sounds "vague", but it is how I would train anyone that asked me for help - until they hit a 1000 to 1200 lift total on the big three.

If I had a typical skinny hardgainer, I would do something like this:

Month 1: Train 2 days a week, John Christy style A/B split...learn the basic movements and good form. Start to progress.

Month 2-4: Train 3 days a week, A/B split - MWF. Alternate workouts.

After this point I would assess the progression. Some guys might need twice per week AB, some guys 3 times per week HLM fullbody, and those that are progressing quickly - I would place on a 3 or 4 day split.

I believe fullbody routines and AB splits are best for most, but for the "easier" gainers - I want them to hit each bodypart harder for a while to see what happens.

After they reach a 1000-1200 3 lift total, which should happen in the first 2 years, it's time to better look at goals...do you want to try bodybuilding, powerlifting, etc. I don't believe guys in their first 2 years of training should use any complicated powerlifting/bodybuilding schemes, techniques. Just hit weights and get a good total, then assess progress.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 12-27-2009 at 12:34 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote