Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master memberSoldier is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MC* View Post
2. The Education Factor. As of August 2011, the unemployment rate for people with a college degree or higher is only 4.6%. It is 13.3% for people with less than a high school diploma and 9.0% for people with a high school diploma. More educated people are working. This again goes toward the 20+ year trend of fewer and fewer jobs for skilled laborers. Our country has yet to catch up with and accept this reality.
I completely agree that trivializing the importance of the skilled laborer has hurt our country in a number of ways, some of which have yet to be known. That being said, all those numbers say to me as that as bad as things are, it's still easier to get a job the more education you have. I don't see that as a negative thing in and of itself.

But the death of skilled labor is a horrible thing. It used to be that if a farmers equipment broke, he could call the local welder who'd fix it and take a bag of grain as payment. No computers, no spread sheets, just good people doing good work and making a living, and helping each other when it was needed. It's not glamorous, but its the kind of world I'd like to live in anyways.
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote