Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I think one of the big names at another forum used to preach 150-160 max if I remember correctly.

It was usually framed with the belief that anymore is useless for muscle growth. While that very well may be true, this advice also encouraged novices with fast metabolisms to eat an immense amount of carbs.

If someone requires a lot of calories to grow, I personally believe they need to focus more on increasing fat intake while seeking a better balance between protein and carbs.

I am not a huge fan of high carb diets, but will hold back on regurgitating my dogma right now because I know most people won't go Paleo. I certainly do not follow strict Paleo year round, but try to.
I think it was me. If I remember correctly. But it likely could have been one of several other people; this isn't an uncommon attitude. Things have changed on account of my expanded knowledge base and personal experience.

A month ago a learned friend tried to explain to me that optimum protein consumption was actually .8 - 1 gram per KILOGRAM of lean body mass... meaning someone like the OP requires no more than 68 grams of protein per day and in fact much less, if you consider that even you're average skinny 'hard gainer' is still typically +12% body fat...
*clears throat*
He was convinced of this, and so I left it alone. But I knew different.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet

Last edited by Abaddon; 09-02-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote