View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #19
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
No worries, comment, derail, refute...

What you said was exactly what I was talking about. I bet for every bit of good advice out there, there are twenty bits of garbage (at least). When I was younger I figured there had to be some one thing I wasn't doing that would make all the difference. I found out, years later, that much of what I was doing was counter-productive.

Maybe the most important thing I've learned is to relax; weight lifting is not complicated. Keep it simple and keep at it. Bingo!
Most of the bad advice comes from a lack of understanding that:

A) Naturals can only get so big.
B) Beginner gains exist, and when they do occur, it doesn't reveal that a trainee has unearthed some major "secret."
C) The more gains you get, the less future gains you get.

After beginner gains, lifters are continually trying to "re-ignite" or "shock", and from this we get all sorts of bizarre beliefs. Like the idea that you must change workouts every 8 weeks.

Few understand expectations for naturals, and few experienced naturals want to admit they aren't gaining much any more. Yet they continually to kill themselves.

Hard work is good, but at some point you have to admit gains have slowed and you aren't going to gain 10 pounds this year.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote