View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #15
storm1507
Max Brawn
Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45 Points: 5,137, Level: 45
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Con-Cret :D
storm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machinestorm1507 is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
From this brief introduction to yourself and your posts, I think your biggest issue like most people's is consistency, diet and the wrong priorities.

Try to get away from the focus on "routines", no routine is magic and most routines you'll find here are sensible enough. You've just had a suggestion to do madcow, you have considered my 4 way split, the Reeves routine and full body routines. At the end of the day it doesn't matter. What makes these routines work is consistent hard work. Not just for a month or two, but for years at at time. Usually what seperates a large muscular weight lifter and a skinny beginner is at least 3 years of hard, consistent weight lifting.

When you are squatting 180kg for reps, you will be hard and muscular all over, when you're benching 140kg for reps you'll have a huge upper body. Whether you did that on a Full Body or on Madcow doesn't matter in the slightest. So get that out of your head, as long as they're sensible the particular routine does not matter. What matters is picking one and sticking with it.

Your diet will be the main determinant of your body composition. Again what seperates a hard, lean competitive powerlifter from a casual weight trainee who slobs around the gym is a consistent focus on diet.

The good news is that the more you do these things, the easier they become as they're ingrained into your routine.

1) So pick a routine, out of the many good ones mentioned here.
2) Focus yourself with targets and goals.
3) Promise yourself that you'll stay consistent with the plan for at least the next year, no changes, no excuses.
Good advice. That is exactly the reason I like to do the 5 x 5 every couple of years or so. I print out the spreadsheet and it tells me exacty what to do to improve. Then it's just a matter of giving 100% to hit those numbers.

X2 on the diet advice. That is the toughest part. I hit the hard yesterday at a special event and have a cookout after church today.
storm1507 is offline   Reply With Quote