View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Tournaments Won: 9

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I want somebody to win this, so here's an entry from me...

On the football front...

My kid had a diasterous practice on Tuesday, which gave me motivation for my squat session. He was playing defensive tackle and going up against the best offensive tackle. Well, my kid has been improving a lot and started to blow up the other kid. The other kid started playing dirty and clubbing my kid on the back of the neck and helmet. After that my kid started getting timid and stopped trying. He got blown up all night after that.

I have a rule for myself, and that is I won't talk to my son about anything he needs to improve on until the day after. I don't want to be one of those dads that puts a ton of pressure on their kids to be good at sports. So I bit my lip all night (didn't sleep well) and the next morning. I used that agression in the gym for my squat session. Then after school we had a little chat.

I told him that I noticed he gave up after the other kid got overly physical. I explained in life we have those kinds of situations all the time and people are going to try to bring us down for their own gain. I explained that those are the times we have to dig deep and fight back. We went over the basics of his stance and firing off the line, and then I just left it up to him.

So last night he really showed me that he can step it up. He was aggressive and stuck to his fundamentals. He ended up getting called out at the end of practice for showing the most improvement and they are going to step him up to the offensive line. I am so stinkin' proud of him for finding the desire to step it up and find a way to fight back, and most importantly, he said it was the most fun practice that he's had.

Being a dad is tough work...
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote