View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtL View Post
Title says it all. Does it work? What changes need to be made?

LtL
First and foremost they need to understand that geared lifters train differently than raw lifters. Raw lifters don't have assistance in the hole or off the chest. They need to work assistance work/weaknesses accordingly.

Second, training heavy each weak is much easier if you're using even a minimal amount of support gear. I can't train bench press heavy more than once every 6-8 weeks raw any more. With a Sling Shot I am able to train it heavy every week and I feel no strains at all. A little support goes a long way - at least for me. This probably won't be as much of an issue for an intermediate who is still experience rapid progression. Mileage may vary.

Third, they need to stop lifting like they are training in gear. Don't jump to super wide stance squats without understanding what the heck you're doing, and how the gear helps the lifter.

The question for me is more about training level. Westside lifters are all advanced lifters who train in gear. I am not sold on it being the best approach for raw natural intermediates. As an intermediate I was still generally weak all over. I certainly had weaknesses, but I didn't always have the insight to truly understand what they were or if I was missing something.

Advanced lifters can train how they want to train....they know their bodies and limitations better than I do.

I am not discounting the fact that many things can be learned from Westside.

Certainly raw lifters make progress on it. Most hardcore lifters will progress on just about anything. But when lifting raw and edging closer to that advanced level, if you can lift heavy every week then go for it. I can't.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-25-2011 at 11:59 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote