Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitarpyar View Post
The simplest I can think of is push, pull and legs. Well, legs isn't a movement pattern, but you get the idea ...
You'd be in good company, that simple system is what Bill Starr and most of York at the time based their lifting on. For Starr pressing covered everything from Benches to Inclines to Overheads, he strongly believed they all helped each other and placed a lot of emphasis on that in his routines.

Pulls were mainly the quick lifts, with exercises that we might traditionally view as "upper pull" such as Chins being relegated to assistance. For Starr the quick lifts built enough upper back power.

I like the simplicity of the system, for strength I'd say it's superior to a 5-6 movement pattern which we're used to. Something like this for example:

Heavy: Squat, Bench, Power Shrugs
Light: Overhead Press, Power Clean, Front Squat
Medium: High Pull, Incline, Squat

Would be a quality strength routine, add in some chins, dips and ab work and you're good to go.

Although for bodybuilding i'd prefer the variety of a 5-6 movement pattern routine, which incidentally is what Starr went for as well in the few times he wrote for bodybuilders.

Last edited by Fazc; 08-22-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote