Thread: Box Squat Tips
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post

ie: How far back to have the bench, how heavy to start at (in relation to a normal squat), how long to pause onthe box (as I have heard everything to touch and go and basically sitting down for a second or two then coming back up).

I want to get form on all my lifts really nailed down, as (I think) ill be doing a strength based program, or powerbuilding at least, when i come back off vacation and Im goning to really push weight progression.

Any help from you guys would be great

Carl.
I like to move my feet just right in front of the bench/box. Some guys move the bench all the way in but it will force a wider stance and awkward squat unless the bench is low.

Squat normally until your butt feels the box. Then sit without rounding your back, but only long enough to feel like you've placed your weight on the box.

I would start with 40% of your 1RM to get a feel for the lift and add weight each set as you feel comfortable. Initially 80% of my 1RM was tough. Now 90% is easy.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote