View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #509
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetiredkris View Post
hats off to you for even trying to train someone, ive gone through about 15 people now and the only one who still lifts is my brother.
people have this thing these days ware they think quitting is ok if something is hard.

its a terrible life but i thrive off ego.
if i see someone lift more than me i go 'how the fuck is he lifting more than me??'
if i see someone lifting less i go 'lets show this fucker how its done'

mab: tell me if im getting too foul mouthed on your board buddy
Swearing is fine. This isn't a Cathedral, and I don't expect you guys to act that way. I talk like a sailor in real life - so have at it.

Regarding the kid - I'm still trying to digest just how to train a guy that only wants abs. Most of these young guys want 10-15 pounds of muscle and abs, but many of them don't want any fat gain in the process. Most times I leave them be, simply because they don't approach it as a lifestyle.

To me, wanting to be ripped and get abs is the same as wanting to try a fad diet. You might get there, but then what? I've had abs, and have been semi-ripped several times in my early days. It is darn hard to stay looking like that. It requires a lifestyle.

So anyway, that's generally why I avoid "ripped and abs" type trainees.

Here is the email I received:

Quote:
Feeling a little discouraged

I'm gaining weight up to almost 163 now but I don't feel that I'm gaining any strength, after my almost an hour workout I'm feeling almost completely drained and the weight on my sets aren't going up and I can't really pump out another rep. I don't want to really push that 6th rep on mondays because I don't lift with anyone and could potentially get seriously hurt if I were to fail on that addition rep.

Maybe it was just a bad day though.
I wasn't born yesterday and realize that when the email title is "feeling discouraged" it generally means "I want to quit." I hope he doesn't, but at least I planted seeds. I haven't really told him how to eat other then expressing that he needs to eat more then maintenance.

I'm not down on the guy. I know that lifting heavy iron isn't everyone's idea of fun. It's simply frustrating investing so much time only to have an about-face after a week.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote