View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 08:18 AM   #10
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
My concern for your forearms was not the grip work itself more of the strongman stuff, with the sandbag you will be squeezing it so hard that it will wear on your forearms. But if you feel the need do it, because I have never been a fan of direct forearm work and never had any problems with grip on deadlift or anything else. I guess it works for some people.

Just my personal opinion, as a noob I do not really see a need for rear delt work but you can still do it, and on your Wednesday workout there is no back work. I really do not think you would have a problem doing another compound back movement like bodyweight pullups as far as overtraining goes.

Speed work could be done whenever you feel wore out or tired, or if you start to feel really slow. On your program you should do what you think is best and just feel out your body and watch your lifts. Keep a detailed journal and make notes about form, ease of the lift, progression and so on. The more notes you have the more you can critique your own program.

The best advice would be to get under the bar and try it!
And this is solid advice.

Rear delt work - to me - is a waste. I honestly believe that deadlifts and rows do far more then reverse flyes will ever do. Regarding forearm work...my forearms are a rock solid 15.25 and I never do forearm work. And remember, I'm not genetically gifted either. I have small bones - 6.5" wrist or smaller.

If you have time in your routine after all the necessaries, then add in whatever else you want to do. Part of lifting is pleasure - obviously. But be cautious about adding in work that puts your big lifts under time pressure.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote