Soldier
Max Brawn
Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78 Points: 14,594, Level: 78
Activity: 89% Activity: 89% Activity: 89%

Training Exp: On and off for 17 years.
Training Type: ARGH!!!
Fav Exercise: Bosu kickback pistols
Fav Supp: Crack on a trisket
Soldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite memberSoldier is an elite member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Honeycutt View Post
if your PTing and squating and training im sure you will always have aches and pains. you probably have some inflamation in your joints from lifting and PT. I work for the marine corp at camp lejeune so i know what PT is about. Good luck trying to balance PT and weight lifting... it can be done if approached correctly. Are you in the army?
I'm a "future soldier". I'm shipping into the Army in January. We have PT twice a week, but we only have to come once a week, which I'll probably start doing. It's other future soldiers who run PT, and god do they have no clue how to run a good training session. I don't mind a drill sergeant who's younger than me yelling at me, because they are sergeants for a reason, but it takes every once of control I have to handle an 18 year old private yelling at me, when they have no experience or training in how to develop a fitness program.

At first I was focussed on just increasing the military's "big three"; pushups, situps, and running. After I passed all three parts of the fitness test on the first try, I switched over to a conditioning focus to prepare myself for basic, which includes very high volume. I've been training upwards of 10-12 times a week, switching around from heavy lifting, speed work, and high-rep stuff for muscular endurance, to MMA style workouts including bag work and grappling exercises. Whatever part(s) of me feel good on a given day, I'll train. I've almost forgotten what periodization and specialization mean, but every time I try to make and follow a weekly plan, something gets overdone and holds back everything else.

I know it's a crazy, overwhelming plan, but Hell if it isn't working. I'm steadily recomping, even gaining a couple lbs while leaning out, and my conditioning is through the roof, and all while improving my joint mobility, especially in my horrible knees which feel great (thank you squats!).
Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote