View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I agree with what Off Road said. I would add that the splits often come with a "buffet training" mindset. Novices tend to start swapping out hard exercises with inferior lifts, or they merely fall in love with the idea of picking and choosing ones that sound cool.

Splits also tend to breed volume and the moar mindset.

If you notice the novice "critique my workout" threads they almost always have:

1) Too many exercises.
2) Too much volume.
3) Poor exercise selection. (a slant toward machines and isolations and away from bodyweight, Olympic and compounds)
4) Too many training days.
5) Too much ab, chest and bicep work.
6) A misguided focus on finding perfect rep schemes for maximal growth.

Someone is going to jump in here and slit my throat and say, but, but...they can gain on splits...

Yes, true. Hard work and progression almost always pay off. BUT...98% of the novices on forums aren't as educated or prepared as they guys who do gain, and they need to be taught the fundamentals - the things they should be focused on.

The guys that DO gain on splits would gain about the same on a fullbody. Plus they would probably save their bodies some wear and tear.

The guys that DO gain on splits know or understand (or have blindly stumbled upon) the fundamentals...progression, good exercise selection, proper eating, getting their ass to the gym consistently.

They gain rapidly despite their programs, not because of them. Beginner gains is a wonderful thing. 9 times out of 10 if you look at their programming, you will see plenty of lifts that could have been removed without sacrificing gains.

Many guys don't want to hear that though. Many lifters who stumble upon beginner gains think they have solved the riddle of the ages. Far too many take what they did and present it as Gospel to other novices.

The disconnect is that they don't have enough experience to understand that bloated workouts are not needed.

Anyway, I have my flame retardant suit on. Have at me. I have said it before and I will say it again:

(Most) Advanced lifters don't randomly pick and choose exercises based on how neet-o they sound in a program, and neither should novices.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-10-2011 at 11:35 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote