View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
Off Road
Max Brawn
Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83 Points: 17,091, Level: 83
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!Off Road is one with Crom!

I do not think that 4-5 day bodypart splits are very good for novice trainers and here's why...

I think it is much better to hit the lifts more frequently to get good at doing them and take advantage of that fast newby progression.

Most newbies use far too many exercises when doing bodypart splits. Progression will only happen on about 6 to 10 big lifts at a time. More than that and they will be battling for recouperation resources.

Too many lifts are also harder to track. If something isn't working it's too hard to pin-point the problem. But if you are using fewer lifts it is much easier to make minor changes and notice the effects.

Personally, if you are training very hard, I think that 3 days a week is optimal and some will even do better with only 2 days a week training. Up to five and you just aren't training hard enough or you will kill your recovery if you are.

I think a good split for a newby is a 2-way split, either upper/lower or push/pull.

I obviously haven't covered everything and look forward to others adding to this list, or even reading a counter argument...
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote