Chillen
Max Brawn
Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52 Points: 6,498, Level: 52
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%

Training Exp: 5+ years
Training Type: Bodybuilding
Fav Exercise: Pullup/Bent Over Row
Fav Supp: Feeding the Brain
Chillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master memberChillen is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big valsalva View Post
OK bruteforce. I'm have Windows XP Home. I am constantly getting notifications that my virtual memory is too low. Certain programs like Microsoft Works won't open (I know Works is antiquated, but I have a lot of word processing files saved that I can't access anymore). It seems that there is always alot of stuff running in the background (the "think light" is on or blinking and there is some quiet mechanical chatter). Is there a way to see what nonesential programs are running and shut them down?

big valsalva thanks you in advance.

Like with any computer problem, we have to deal with some basics. Give all the information you can on all the hardware you have installed in your computer that you are able to provide (such as Motherboard, RAM INSTALLED, Video card, etc, etc, or if a propriety box, the manufacturer and model number, which will provide these details).

How much ram is installed?

How much disk space is left on your primary Windows partition? (Double click my Computer, and it should lift your disks, and space left/used)

Processes running: Right Click the task bar, and select task manager. In the menu tabs, select processes, these are the list of the current running processes. And if you highlight it, you can link it to the program responsible for running it.

Installed programs are another important element as well as start-up (when booting) programs.

How to tell which programs are starting at boot, and taking up ram space or process time/write: Type in MSCONFIG at the run command. Select start-up, and deselect the ones you do not want to start-up.

How to tell how your swap file is set up in windows: Right click My Computer, then select advanced, settings, then advanced (again), then under virtual memory, select change, and tell me what you see there.

Peace

Chillen

After losing 40+ unwanted lbs:

At 152/154lbs:

At 162-168:

Last edited by Chillen; 08-07-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Chillen is online now   Reply With Quote