View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Like LTL said...consistency.

At minimum I think you could do 3-5 quality exercises 2-3 times per week, focus on progression, eat enough to gain, and that's about it.

Most people fail because they are not consistent, they do not focus on progression, they do not eat enough, and they waste time on a lot of useless exercises.

It is easy - on paper.

I think in one year's time I could train just about anyone to add 10-15 pounds of muscle, and have them squatting at least 275-315 for reps. If they did what I asked them to do.

Forums skew things... You have armies of posters who say they're doing all the above, but in reality they aren't. 95% of "plateaus" boil down to the same issues. This is one of the reasons that starting novices with simple programs makes the most sense.

--You overload them with training days and exercises and you risk loss of consistency.
--You overload them with complicated PCF ratios and micromanagement of calories and you risk them failing at the eating end of things. (You have to get them eating enough first and foremost, and that doesn't require a complicated formula. In addition, most have no clue how many calories it takes to gain.)
--You overload them with complicated training ideas and advanced techniques and you risk taking the focus off of progression, which is the real magic.

I love John Christy's eating advice: eat 1000 more calories per day then you're eating right now. Not too much different from Rippetoe, GOMAD, etc.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 08-02-2011 at 11:45 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote