View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #1501
LtL
SHFW
Max Brawn
Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100 Points: 36,892, Level: 100
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%

Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!LtL is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurik View Post
I feel the same way you do, Steve. I'm nervous to do my first comp (probably at the end of August), because I know how seriously strong some of the guys that are going to be there are. I mean, really... in the SHW class, a 350lb bench and a 500lb deadlift aren't all that impressive. But when you compare do the average joe schmo at the gym, I'm probably in the top 5% of guys there. I mean, the number of guys at my gym who I've seen bench more than 3pps is pretty slim -- you can count them on one hand, and I'm now in that group. I'm about -><- this close to deadlifting 5pps, and I can squat 4pps for reps. I may not be competitive with some of the elite guys who are in the area (and there are some guys with elite totals in the area), but I've come a LONG way from where I started... and really I only started training for strength a year ago June or so. When you consider how far I've come in just over a year, that's HUGE.

Remember, Al. Perspective is the key. You're still at the point in your career where you're gaining strength on a regular basis, AND you have already put up a big enough total for Nationals. In a year or two you should be able to go to Nationals and place in the top 2 or 3, if not win it outright. Don't underestimate where you are and where you've come from. Also, keep in mind that all this adversity you're dealing with in your training schedule can only build your character stronger. As long as you keep hitting the weights and pushing just beyond what you're capable of on a given day, you'll get to where you want to be. I have full faith in you, Mr Beast Mode.
Thanks Ken. Greatly appreciated. Winning Nationals within the next 2 years is my target.

LtL
LtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links