07-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reading, Berkshire, UK
Training Exp: 5 years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Deadlifts
Fav Supp: Endurance BCAA
Originally Posted by Abaddon
To begin, from what I've read, Chest and Shoulder day can remain pretty much unchanged. But what about Back and Shoulder day?
Back day involves deadlifts and has Facepulls as the delt component; are these still effective here?
I know that direct bicep work is not going to be a priority (not that it ever has been - my routine involves only 3 sets of curls per week (and with my sporadic training it's more like per fortnight).
My Legs routine also has 4 sets of trap work and some wrist curls (drop them too?), and it's a pretty full-on routine with 20 working sets.
So, my questions are:
1. Can my Chest routine stay unchanged?
I would focus more on overhead pressing with bench press as an assistance for strongman as I don't think they ever compete in horizontal pressing, always vertical.
2. Does the Back routine need new exercises, and where should the facepulls go?
Facepulls are good for shoulder health. I like doing them after pressing.
3. Is direct bicep work to be scrapped entirely? If so, where do I allocate triceps exercises without overloading my Chest day?
You need to keep curling to help prevent biceps tears when doing crazy stuff like stones.
4. Should wrist curls be scrapped too, or is there an advantage for SM to have developed wrist strength (I'm thinking for Atlas stones etc)?
IMO Wrist curls are a pointless exercises for everyone. Definitely get rid of them.
5. And how about Legs and Traps day - what needs changing?
Proudly sponsored by Muscle and Brawn and Lifestyle Focus.
Ask me about Ark products.