View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEEPER View Post
My Dead lift is not really on par and I would like to get my back stronger to be able to lock out at the top better on dead lifts with out rounding my back. Is this a good way to do that or just keep dead lifting and looking for progression to let it build all together?
Off topic, do you focus on hip drive through the deadlift lockout?

Back rounding can come from a number of form flaws, including head positioning, which is generally number one. If you lead the deadlift with the head, and focus on standing up, it will help a lot with the back rounding. Don't focus on lifting or leg pressing the weight off the ground.

A lot of lifters start the lift and they start to look down. The body follows the head. When the eyes/head go down the hips come up, and your back rounds too much.

Start the deadlift by moving your head up, next focus on standing up with the bar in your hands instead of pulling it, and finally thrust your hips forward during lockout, like you were having sex with the bar.

As far as rack deads, they can help, but for some they don't do much. I might suggest RDLs instead. Check out the Rippetoe video on the site. I think the RDL may be more beneficial for you right now. It will help you focus on that lower back and keeping it tight, and will help build lockout strength.

You certainly could add rack deads to this equation.High pulls are also a good choice.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote