View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I am very often frustrated trying to inform people that their goals are not realistic and compatible. What goals am I talking about? The guys that are 10% bodyfat and want to build muscle and get a LOT leaner. From experience with countless lifters, the average guy, with average genetics can build muscle at a good pace at 10-14% bodyfat. The average lifter does poorly at adding muscle at an appreciable rate when at 6-8%--but that is exactly what soooo many guys want to/are attempting to do.

I get a constant influx of guys that are truly about 10% bodyfat and they see themselves as fat because they don't have rippling abs. Most of these guys won't have abs at 6% either because despite what MYTHS you may have heard that EVERYBODY has abs under the fat--it is simply not the case that everyone has DEVELOPED abs that will show well even at very low bodyfat percentages.

Most of these guys do not have any appreciable muscle or strength, yet they have an illusion of being able to muscle up fast while staying at 8% year round--this will simply NOT happen for most guys. If you are not willing to spend some time at 10-14% (10-12 really for most guys) you are going to find some very slow going. Do you really want to work a year to gain 3-4 lbs of muscle when you could have gained 10-15 (or more for beginners) by allowing yourself to be a little smoother?

Iron Addict

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote