View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 03:45 PM   #22
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shadow View Post
, I'm stating that the basic principles of eating 6x a day has been proven by multiple sources to hold no significant value over the standard 3x a day.
"Proven" is a strong word Shadow, especially when looked at through the lens of what actually is working.

I would not force myself out on this limb if I didn't believe it was a safe place to be. Bodybuilders need to be precise. They are extreme students of the body.

On the other hand, I have seen scores of studies that do NOT take place on top level athletes, but rather on average Joes performing leg extensions in a controlled environment. These scientists often (I am being kind and should have said rarely ever) fail to understand even the most basic of principles that are cornerstones in the lifting game - for example, beginner gains.

I would bet my left (and probably my right) testicle that the studies used to compile Lyle's conclusions were NOT performed on athletes who have accumulated at least 15-20 pounds of muscle, and do not mimic the same biophysical demands that these athletes face every day.

A beginner can do just about anything and make gains...and I would wager EASILY with only 3 meals per day.

An experienced lifter who is trying their hardest to maintain (and gain) muscle mass which is easily relinquished by the body under the most mild of circumstances doesn't play by the same rules as a beginner.

Therefore, I am very skeptical about any studies related to protein intake and frequent feeding, especially in the light of the reality that no bodybuilder to my knowledge has ever been let down by frequent feeding.

I will end my thoughts with a quote from Rippetoe:

Quote:
You are right to be wary. There is much bullshit. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 07-05-2011 at 04:11 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote