Spartigus
Max Brawn
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Training Exp: 4 years
Training Type: Fullbody
Fav Exercise: Squat & Quick Lifts
Fav Supp: Milk
Spartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributorSpartigus is a dedicated contributor

I agree. The biggest guy in the gym didnt get there accidentally. I remember in one of Mark Rippetoes books, he addressed the issue of "genetic freaks". The amount of actual genetic freaks is very very small. But what I found interesting, is that these "genetic freaks" from what Mark Rippetoe has seen, dont often work to their full potential, as in they possibly lack dedication, progression and nutrition, because they have good genes, so they end up limiting themselves.

I believe the biggest and strongest guys are made through years of dedication and hard work.

I think the reason people toss around the term "genetic freak" and "hardgainer" is so they can feel better about not training hard, not eating well and lacking dedication. Its easy to say "I am skinny and weak because I have bad genes", no you are wrong, you are skinny and weak because you didnt work hard enough. Its hard to say "I'm not that big because I didnt train hard enough, I didnt eat well and was lazy, thats why I am skinny and weak".

But this attitude of laziness is seen all over the place, almost half of Australia and America is obese, people didnt just get bad genes over night, they are just being lazy.

When I started lifting I often used the hardgainer excuse for being skinny and weak. When I look back to when I started lifting, its embarrassing, I want to slap myself. But it taught me harsh lessons. Only recently when I ran starting strength did I only begin to learn about lifting.

My 0.02c

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler
Spartigus is offline   Reply With Quote