Anabolic Addiction Rep
Max Brawn
Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93 Points: 22,560, Level: 93
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%

Training Exp: 5
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Push press
Fav Supp: Razor 8 Blast Powder
jwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beastjwood is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.j.taylor View Post
The hardest thing for someone who wants to transition to strongman is how unimportant benching actually is. I have been running 5/3/1 with bench turned down to about 60%. I did this for two reasons, 1-to focus on OH strength, 2-because benching does very little in strongman. My press is damn near what my bench is right now. I really only bench to help balance out the power between my back and my front.

I would split the exercises you have up there like this:
Tuesday: Push press and CGBP or tricep work
Thursday: Bench and Rows

Here is what I am currently running:
Monday: Squat with leg press and some sort of clean variation
Tuesday: Push Press with CGBP or more push press and sometimes power snatches and high rep hammer curls
Wednesday: off
Thursday: Bench with rows, chins, and BB curls (My bench work is light enough that recovery isnt a problem from Tuesday, but you could flip this and fridays workout if you like)
Friday: Deadlift with RDL/SLDL and shrugs with powercleans as my warmup
Saturday: Events training-always try to do at least one overhead event, one moving event, and lung busting event
Sunday-chicken wings and beers
I like the way you split things, except I am not sure about deadlifting the day before strongman events. Most of the events are really taxing on your core, and involve picking something up off the ground. Such as stones, farmers, cleans. A lot of strongman stuff using a lot of lower back strenth.

The guys that I have trained strongman with before, do squats and deads towards the middle of the week. This way your legs are recovered for your strongman workout and also your legs will recover before your squat workout.

By the way guys, I am looking into buying a strongman log or getting it for my birthday.