Fat, Pale, Weak
Max Brawn
Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35 Points: 3,277, Level: 35
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Training Exp: 4
Training Type: Strongman
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Beer
austin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machineaustin.j.taylor is a lifting machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
I would personally do 2-3 assistance exercises plus heavy abs and side bends (on squat/dead day). Core type stuff, not too much different from Westside/Wendlers.

For example, on bench day I might do the following: (I have limited equipment, remember)

--Bench Press
--Push Press
--Barbell or Dumbbell Row
--Closegrip Bench Press or Dumbbell Bench Press or Heavy Tricep Exercise

You could also do shoulder prehab/rehab, and/or facepulls or rear delt work.
The hardest thing for someone who wants to transition to strongman is how unimportant benching actually is. I have been running 5/3/1 with bench turned down to about 60%. I did this for two reasons, 1-to focus on OH strength, 2-because benching does very little in strongman. My press is damn near what my bench is right now. I really only bench to help balance out the power between my back and my front.

I would split the exercises you have up there like this:
Tuesday: Push press and CGBP or tricep work
Thursday: Bench and Rows

Here is what I am currently running:
Monday: Squat with leg press and some sort of clean variation
Tuesday: Push Press with CGBP or more push press and sometimes power snatches and high rep hammer curls
Wednesday: off
Thursday: Bench with rows, chins, and BB curls (My bench work is light enough that recovery isnt a problem from Tuesday, but you could flip this and fridays workout if you like)
Friday: Deadlift with RDL/SLDL and shrugs with powercleans as my warmup
Saturday: Events training-always try to do at least one overhead event, one moving event, and lung busting event
Sunday-chicken wings and beers
austin.j.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote