View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterMike View Post
I have a training partner who actually has the same thing....I haven't really sat back to think about/analyze the issue....I usually say....use exercises other than a straight leg curl to strengthen the hams.....If I am doing hams, I want the whole posterior chain to be firing as well, especially if I am trying to squat big.....that way there are no muscular weaknesses anywhere else....maybe try box squatting (its a good test for ham strength bc its essentially a leg curl if you are doing it right)....if you have trouble box squatting properly....start with some goodmornings and then move to GHRs....if you dont have a GHR, you can always dp them the old fashion way with a pad on the floor. obviously if I cat see video or be there when you are working out, I can't really say much...But now that I am thinking about it...I would guess with my training partner that he is wearing out his hams to the point his technique on the squat breaks down and causes the injury...might not be the same with you, but could be a factor. hope this helps!
In the past I stuck with wide stance good mornings, sumo RDLs and RDLs. Early last year I strained my hip with heavy RDLs so I started dabbling back with leg curls on and off.

In hind site it was a bad decision. I probably should have just stuck with good mornings.

Thanks for the post. I have gotten away from box squats for a couple of years. It might be time to pull my head out of my ass again.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote