View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 04:49 PM   #15
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

The thing that really frustrates me about all this is the fact that too much useless, worthless information is given to trainees before they have even learned how to gain weight by calories alone.

I see people doing this to a 14 year old who weighs 140...

"Calculate your BMR and add 500 calories...this is how many calories you need to grow. Then, break said calories in the ratio of blah/blah/blah. Next, divide calories into 6 tidy meals...and you'll grow like a weed."

To any 14 year olds who are 5'10", and weight 140, listen close...

Using a very popular BMR calculator on the web...one that takes into account your activity level...it tells me that you need:

2,382 calories to maintain

Here's where you need to listen...

This is utter BS!

Most likely, you could eat double that and have a hard time gaining weight. Why?

A) You eat like crap right now. Doritos, soda, junk food, and crap. You eat a ton of junk calories already, and aren't gaining weight.
B) I am 42 years old and maintain weight on 3400 calories per day. If you eat 500 over that estimate - 2882 - you will probably lose weight!

Here's my formula....IF you are a twig.

1) Go to this site => Basal Metabolic Rate & Calories Burned Daily Calculator
2) Calculate your "maintenance level".
3) Triple that for a month.
4) See how much weight you gain.
5) Make adjustments from there.

Now, if you say:

I can't eat that much chicken and broccoli!

I don't want you eating chicken. I want you eating 2 weight gain shakes a day, 6-8 cups whole milk, a large bag of doritos, all the cup cakes and pop-tarts you want, frozen pizzas by the dozens, etc.

Oh! No! So unhealthy!

A) It's not that much worse then how you eat now.
B) You are UNDERWEIGHT. Do you want some rapid weight gain, or not?
C) This isn't meant to be a lifestyle - forever diet.

Do this for a month. See how much weight you gain, and make adjustments from there. It takes hard work and practice to eat a tron of "healthy" calories. Healthy bulking is VERY difficult for young hardgainers with high metabolisms.

By all means...if you can healthy bulk and eat 6000 calories a day, have at it. I recommend 75% good, 25% bad food. Despite what the OCD legions of BB.com say, most people eat WORSE then that. You do to! So this is an improvement.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote