Old 06-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post

Testosterone (Test)
Test levels have been shown to increase through doing large compound movements at 85%RM+ for a relatively high volume of 3-10 sets with short rest intervals of up to 60 seconds. In addition if you have a long training history, this sort of exercise creates an even bigger boost in test levels. The book doesnt go into any more detail sets and reps, but I would assume its 3-10 of maybe single or doubles, or maybe even triples? Any thoughts?
Dmaipa recently wrote an article that referenced something similar. I have not read the study so I will not comment on it specifically.

One thing I will say is that studies often neglect several important factors. These factors vary from study to study, but are important. In this study, for example, the following factors are ignored:

1) 85% for a newbie does not impact the body and its systems in the same way 85% for and experienced intermediate to advanced lifter.

2) Experience level of the lifter. The body responds on a more heightened level for beginners. We all know when training properly, they gain rapidly.

3) Hard work. Numbers can often paint the illusion that someone is working hard. Two different lifters can perform very similar workouts, and one lifter will walk away destroyed while the other lifter may have been pulling back by a rep or two on each set.

Lastly, the body can only hold so much muscle naturally. Natural testosterone levels are one of the limiting factors in this reality. Even if you are able to spike test levels by a little bit each workout using this training, this slight increase would not change how big you get in the long run.

With that said, it may be a good style for short term gains, but as we have discussed with the gains curve, everything evens out as long as progression and persistence are in the mix.

I would never dissuade anyone from using the above format. I've used it myself in some form or fashion. But as a study it's incomplete. I know the article as a whole isn't a study, but they did reference "is shown" which means they are basing it on a study or two.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote