View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Too many reps, too soon

The older I get and the heavier the weight gets, the harder it is for me to jump into sets over 5 reps. Because of this, I have been thinking about trying a new system for heavy lifts.

I will pick a working weight and perform 4 working warm up sets with ramping reps. The 5th set will be all out for max reps, like this:

Set 1 - Weight x 1 rep
Set 2 - Weight x 2 reps
Set 3 - Weight x 3 reps
Set 4 - Weight x 4 reps
Set 5 - Weight x MAX reps

I have been considering "8 reps" as the goal for the max set, meaning when I hit 8 reps, I add weight.

Regarding periodization, I as thinking that if I felt off on a given day and needed a break, I could merely just perform sets 1-3, or 1-4.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links