Strongman & Trainer
Max Brawn
Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61 Points: 8,358, Level: 61
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Training Exp: 5 years total
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Log Clean Press
Fav Supp: Meat & Milk
Abaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality postsAbaddon has made some quality posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazc View Post
Abaddon, not a problem and I wish you good luck either way!

However as a point of conversation while we're here, I think the single biggest mistake made by intermediate trainees is trying to do too much at once. When we were beginners the training was relatively simple, assuming we stumbled across the right lifting material we trained with one goal in mind which was to get stronger and we ate/rested to support that. Even if our goals were a little confused at that point, the magic of beginner gains carried us through. Those that were successful moved out of beginner status and spent less time on beginner routines than did their peers.

In the intermediate phase is where trainees first start making major mistakes. By definition an intermediate hasn't chosen their speciality yet, they may be strong relative to their peers but in terms of achieving their potential they are still nowhere close. No-one *accidentally* makes Elite in powerlifting for example. So intermediate training is where people are still figuring things out, figuring out what they're good at, what they like doing.
Thanks for the amplification Fazc - I could not agree with you more concerning your above comments. And I must make the caveat that SM training for me, right now, is not at all about competitive numbers. I know I'm not going to get to that kind of level training SM only one day per week. I also know that I'm not going to handle a full-on SM style training regimen right now either. It's logical to me at this stage to take things slowly and get a handle on all the various aptitudes of SM at a rate that is comfortable for me.

I'd like to dispel the notion that I am an intermediate trainer. I still consider myself a beginner. Most especially when it comes to SM, obviously, but on the whole I am still a beginner with better than average genetics and about 3 years of muscle memory (now marbled with 8 years of laziness and gluttony) this is what's allowing me to lift heavier than your average joe of similar build at 14 months of mostly 3 day a week training.

At least, most would consider what I do to be half-assed training. I was reading a log today, and the OP was averaging 30 sets per workout, and was young and lean enough for me to start wondering what exactly they were trying to achieve with that sort of punishment, and if they'd ever heard of cortisol levels etc... I'm no expert, but I do wonder sometimes where these 30 set, high rep, high intensity routines come from.

And then I slap my face; BB.com.

What I do know is that training 3 days a week brings me consistent gains - but using the template as presently constructed is not as intense as it should be. If anything, I should try and get on to a 4 day per week regimen, so I can hit each body part more frequently.

This isn't a traditional approach, I get that. But it's what I want to do. And so long as I'm not risking injury, I am progressing in weight/reps and I'm enjoying myself, I can't see there being a problem.

W.A. AMATEUR STRONGMAN

MY LOG

PERSONAL RECORDS
Axle clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Bench press: 135 kgs (298 lbs) - 1st PL meet 16th October 2011
Deadlift w/Barbell: 180 kgs (397 lbs)
Deadlift w/Hexbar: 225 kgs (496 lbs)
Farmers walk: 240 kgs (530 lbs), 50 feet
Front squat: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Log clean-press: 100 kgs (220 lbs)
Strict OHP: 85 kgs (187 lbs) 3 reps
Tyre flip: 260 kgs (573 lbs), 100 feet

Last edited by Abaddon; 06-12-2011 at 03:26 AM.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote