Fazc
Max Brawn
Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77 Points: 14,403, Level: 77
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Training Exp: 12+ years
Training Type: Powerlifting
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Chicken
Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!Fazc is one with Crom!

Abaddon, not a problem and I wish you good luck either way!

However as a point of conversation while we're here, I think the single biggest mistake made by intermediate trainees is trying to do too much at once. When we were beginners the training was relatively simple, assuming we stumbled across the right lifting material we trained with one goal in mind which was to get stronger and we ate/rested to support that. Even if our goals were a little confused at that point, the magic of beginner gains carried us through. Those that were successful moved out of beginner status and spent less time on beginner routines than did their peers.

In the intermediate phase is where trainees first start making major mistakes. By definition an intermediate hasn't chosen their speciality yet, they may be strong relative to their peers but in terms of achieving their potential they are still nowhere close. No-one *accidentally* makes Elite in powerlifting for example. So intermediate training is where people are still figuring things out, figuring out what they're good at, what they like doing.

During this *buffet* of options (hey i'm dieting, it's on the mind) where people are allowed to pick numerous goals here they begin to make the first error in their training. There are many goals in training, to lose weight, to gain weight, to really spend some time bringing up a lagging lift, you get the idea. However they fall into two main camps:

1) Building: This could involve strength cycles, bringing up lagging lifts, a delve into a sport you may pursue. Even competition could occur as early as this point.
2) Reducing: Weight reducing cycles, pre-season casual bodybuilding.

Generally speaking goals which belong in the first camp are not compatible with goals that belong in the second camp. On a slight tangent, take a brief flick through some steroid forums and most users will caution against attempting to do both at once even while using some pretty heavy cycles. You don't have your beginner gains to fall back on and even with heavy assistance it isn't optimal by far.

So there you go, that's my take on some of the issues faced by the intermediate.

Last edited by Fazc; 06-12-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Fazc is offline   Reply With Quote