View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #24
glwanabe
Max Brawn
Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79 Points: 15,106, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

glwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master memberglwanabe is a master member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendtheBar View Post
^ This is a topic I have addressed in the past.

A failure to understand potential leads lifters into this mindset that gains have stalled, and generally takes them down a road where they train with heavy volume to "break the stall". They might also over bulk to try and break the stall. I know...I tried...in 1997. I went from 220 to 270 body weight trying to break the stalls. I was also volume training to break the stalls.

I hit walls. I bulked like mad to overcome them. The result? Nothing.

As some point when you get close to natural potential there is a limited ROI. This is why I advocate aggressive eating as a beginner and cleaner bulks the more muscle you have. Also, it provides a good reason not to kill yourself with the iron once you have made great gains. (By "kill yourself" I mean 2+ hours of volume training, or 6 day splits to "re-ignite" gains.)
It is when a person has reached this point that I feel splits of different types are useful if used correctly by a natural lifter.

Don't use a split designed by a steroid user. Use a split that makes sense for your goals, and takes into account the limited ROI that BTB mentions.

This is where thoughtful applicaton of a good program to even out weak areas can be used. It does not mean going crazy on voulume, but rather a little extra emphasis on 1 or 2 lagging parts as a main focus group.

Natural lifting is not the same as drug assisted lifting, and should not be approached or implemented as done so by the, "Pro's."
glwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote