View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #20
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Lane View Post
Then the question becomes, how much cheeting is acceptable? Legs will begin to take the load for the back involuntarily on heavy rows, unless they are chest supported.
I just want to clear this up a bit. I don't cheat. I explode. Some guys do the slow, no explode style row. I don't think that style is of much value. On the other side...a cheating row to me is a row that involves moving the weight with the entire body. I don't do that. I explode using strict form and proper mechanics.

I don't cheat much at all. I explode the weight off the ground. I am still able to hit 215+ Rows. I don't see exploding as cheating. I don't muscle the row up with my legs, or other body parts, but I do explode it with the prime movers of the lift. I am not one of these guys doing one inch cheat rows and calling them rows, no offense meant to anyone...

Here I am:

If I were to cheat, I would be doing 270+ dumbbell rows.

I performed 315x5 barbell rows recently and they were as strict as a nun's sex life. They were also explosive. I don't do the stand up style rows with limited ROM...again, no offense to anyone. Mine are Pendlay from the ground.

What I am against is the mind-muscle connection rows that completely zap the power and explosiveness from the row. I don't think a row has to be devoid of explosiveness to be strict. I feel all my rows, and pull with strict, but explosive mechanics.

Elbows back. Shoulders back. Contract.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 06-05-2011 at 01:24 PM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote