Old 12-07-2009, 02:59 AM   #23
BRaWNy
Pain Master
Max Brawn

Training Exp: ~23 years
Training Type: Other
Fav Exercise: Back Squat
Fav Supp: Fish-oils
BRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributorBRaWNy is a dedicated contributor

Μy opinion (I did not read the link).
The Squat is mostly a glute exercise (hip movement), and hits also good the lower back, the quads and the hams.
It's up to which version you wanna do and which version does fit or apply to your body type.
If you do them olympic style, in a more vertical fashion, it emphasizes more the quads.
If you do them with hip drive (Rippetoe style) or powerlifting style, it emphasizes more on the posterior chain, and in the posterior chain belongs the glutes, lower back and hams.
That does not mean that any kind of them, leaves the other muscles not so emphasized out of the game.

I have long thigh bones in relation with torso, an for me matches better the hip drive style with the bar low on traps, but I can also do the more vertical version like the olympic squats and with the bar high in the traps, but this is hurting my knees more easily.
I believe it is better for me to do hip drive Squats, because they uses much force from the posterior chain, especially glutes and lower back, which are for me the most powerfull muscles and the base/foundation of the body, and everything starts from there.

As well, I think lower back and glutes belongs to lower body or from there you can say begins the lower body and also that begins the upper body, or better said, if I use a training split to upper and lower body, I put glutes and lower back to lower body.
Because in most basic exercises like squats, deads, goodmornings etc, glutes, lower back and hams, work together like a chain, if you know what I mean.

Last edited by BRaWNy; 12-07-2009 at 03:02 AM.
BRaWNy is offline   Reply With Quote