View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood View Post
Death of Squatting

I do not know if you guys have already heard about all of this but it seems to be blowing up on a lot of other forums. Mike Boyle is saying that the back squat is not a lower body exercise and is a lower back exercise. Just wanted to see what you guys thought about this.

I think there is a lot more information elsewhere on the internet, that some of you guys have seen. I would like to hear some opinions on this.
I want to state this first. I am experienced with e-bookers and their marketing tools. This is a nice piece of shock marketing, and I'm sure it's great for the bottom line. One of the big rules of marketing is to place shit into the market that gets people talking. he is good at that. And being that his site is a cut and paste e-book site, I already lost respect for him.

The squat is not a lower back exercise. We all know this. If anything, it hits the hamstrings hardest. Anyone who's ever had a rough squat day knows this to be true.

And it's only a lower back exercise for someone who is a beginner and has no clue what they're doing.

To address AC's point...

"I'm seriously contemplating the neccessity of back squats for athletes as far as muscular development is concerned."

I couldn't disagree more. The back squat is a proven anabolic tool, and provides the fastest anabolic nudge out of any exercise. If you really want to slow your growth the fastest, remove squats.

The front squat is good for lower back strength and deadlift training, but is not a strong mass building exercise. I consider it primarily a strength building exercise.

And the RFE squat? For mass? It's worse then the lunge on the knees. In my opinion, it's almost as ridiculous as someone squatting on a ball. I mean no disrespect AC, but I do strongly disagree with you.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote