View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

I think we should also understand that there are different tiers involved here....

I think a strength coach/lifter with a solid grasp of form and programming but not so "uber" lifts could absolutely assist rank beginners to early intermediates either in person or on a forum.

But a strength/powerlifting coach with a 300 squat/350 deadlift...I personally do not have confidence that they fully grasp my unique demands.

Obviously there are some special cases here...but if I am being honest, I think a 300 squat/350 deadlift is no better than early intermediate and it leaves me with questions as to why this coach has never surpassed these marks.

Strength Standards for Men - Muscle and Brawn - Bodybuilding and Powerlifting

These numbers are intermediate level according to the strength standards for men, and surely reveal that the coach has put in some effort. But I think any trainee that has been lifting for longer than 18-24 months should be able to surpass these numbers...IF they have been training for strength...which, we should not forget, is what our coach is coaching.

He is not a bodybuilding coach who may have lower numbers for whatever reasons. And along these lines...the average person NOT interested in powerlifting who is reading this should NOT assume I am attacking their lift totals. I am not. Please stay grounded in the reality that this is a strength/powerlifting coach and we are talking about trainees who are specifically training for strength numbers.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is online now   Reply With Quote