View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!
Default Coaching Minimum Proficiency Level

Today I told a story about a strength coach I crossed paths with that had a max 300 squat and 350 deadlift.

Q1: Strength/Powerlifting Coach

I posed the question...Do you believe there is there a minimum proficiency levels for a strength coach to have so that he personally understands the demands of heavy weight?

The coach in question trains powerlifting and to a lesser degree Olympic lifts. But he isn't really the issue.

To make myself clear, this thread is not about believing that someone has to squat or deadlift X amount before they can give advice.

A powerlifting coach is tasked with training men and women who are lifting an ever-increasing body-taxing amount of weight. A 400 squat is much more demanding than a 300 pound squat, and a 600 pound squat is much more demanding than a 400 pound squat.

Do you believe that a strength coach who has never experienced a squat over 300 pounds can grasp and personally train a lifter to handle the demands of a 500+ pound squat? I am not saying he can or can't...just throwing the topic out there.

Q2: Muscle Building Coach/Trainer

If a muscle building/bodybuilding coach has never risen above the level of beginner gains (minimum proficiency) do you believe they have what it takes to train others?

Again, the core of this issue is...this coach has never personally had to train under an extremely difficult set of demands. Without this personal insight, do they have enough experience to coach?

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 05-19-2011 at 11:52 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links