View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Casey Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando1234977
To make matters worse, a full body approach would then have you do the most taxing exercises to the cns all in one session.
Not necessarily. A classic heavy/light/medium approach is to mix heavy and lighter lifts on the same day. For instance, on a day containing heavy Squats for sets of 5 the back work might be comparatively light (and spine decompressing) Pullups for sets of 12. Advanced full-body training should not be set up along the same lines as basic beginners and intermediates full-body training. Even if all heavy exercises were performed on the same day, that doesn't mean that different exercises couldn't be performed for different rep counts 48 hours later. Up to a point of exhaustion (which we rarely reach through training) the nervous system reacts very specifically to specific stresses - it typically isn't a blanket "my nervous system is recovering" type of situation.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando1234977
In order to get the workload in that is required per muscle for an intermediate to advanced lifter, the cns would be BURIED for most of the population.
If they attempted high volumes and loading without conditioning themselves properly to that workload then that is no doubt true. However, many lifters throughout the years have progressed in their training properly and can easily Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Row, etc, heavily on the same day with no ill effects. It certainly can't be jumped into suddenly, but it doesn't require super genetics to do it - I've been doing it personally for years and I have, without doubt, below typical genetic gifts for intense training. I've also trained many who've done the same. Of course, if a person poorly plans their training and attempts to do 20-sets per bodypart all on the same day then they will need well above average work tolerances - but that type of volume is unnecessary and counterproductive in such a situation anyway.

On the other hand, until someone does have sufficient conditioning to perform a full heavy day then they can always mix and match the loading schemes for each body part on a daily basis, performing heavy loading for some body parts combined with light loading for others so that over the week each body part gets hit heavy, light and medium.
Quote:
Casey

In my opinion a happy compromise of volume and frequency for natural lifters is to split the body 2 ways either

Upper/Lower
or
Legs-Back-Bi/Chest-Delts-Tri

Name them A and B, train 3 times per week Mon/Wed/Fri:

Week 1: A/B/A
Week 2: B/A/B
Repeat.

I think this allows for a little more volume per major body part than full body routines and a little more frequency than a body part split at 3 times every 2 weeks.

Opinion?
That's actually one of my favourite splits for getting bigger and stronger. A lot of people don't realize it, but it's also how Park trained Arnold when he lived with him in South Africa for three months in 1966. As splits go I think it's one of the first that people should turn to for variety and an alternative to full-body training.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote