Originally Posted by BendtheBar
50 million US citizens have gym memberships. Only 10 million use them.
* Fitness is a $17.6 billion industry that has doubled in size in the last 10 years.
* The U.S. is home to 23,500 health clubs and the number grows each day!
* Health club memberships nationwide are 48 percent male and 52 percent female.
* The average health club member has an annual income of $76,000.
* The average health club member attends their club 92 days per year.
* Personal training is the most widely used health club program.
* Cardiovascular equipment is the top area of expansion in U.S. health clubs.
* Even with a flood of publicity and medical research pointing to physical fitness as the solution, nearly 90% of America has yet to join a gym.
Cardiovascular equipment makes up most of my home gym equipment as well. It's just that mine is comprised of iron plates and bars, while theirs is comprised of treadmills.
I find it ironic that "health" clubs have lots of treadmills. Treadmills are basically people going nowhere fast.