View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl1174 View Post
Nice post Steve... just a question. i have been doing a 3 x 5 scheme for my deads then just going for heavy singles for PB's afterwards, do you think i would get just as worked doing the deads the way you have perscribed and would it lead to faster gains in strength doing it that way rather than as a 3x5 ??? just curious as to whether i should change my set up to try to puch on to 4pps.

Curently i do 80kg x 5/100kg x 5/140kg x 3-4/then a heavy (for me) single at 150/ then another single for 160 last week (which was a pb).

Do you think i would be working smarter by changing it around to be more similar to what you have posted

Carl.
Would it lead to faster gains? Well, that's hard to say. Most heavy single, double and triple training is in the context of a powerlifting workout with assistance exercises and some form of periodization.

In general I think it's always best to stick with a simple form of progression for as long as possible. By simple I don't mean that it can't be devoid or periodization (like Wendler's). I just mean that if you are using a protocol (like the 3x5) and it is working, stick with it.

If you start to feel gassed or beat down because of heavy weight, it might be time to periodize that 3x5 into an HLM.

My best gains on deadlifts have never come from heavy single work. They have always come from the 2 to 5 rep range (sometimes higher up to 20), along with a focus on good mornings.

In the context of your workout I would stick with the 3x5. If you are doing that 3x a week and it gets to feel like a beat down, move to 1x a week. When that feels like a beat down, periodize HLM over 3 weeks.

It's certainly ok to add a few heavy singles after the 3x5, but I would limit that to every other week right now. Because you shouldn't do them every week, it places them as somewhat of a secondary tool or piece of the equation.

My main focus in writing this was to make sure lifters don't take big jumps or do too many heavy sets. Outside of that, if something is working, stick with it.

The only context that I personally like singles (outside of the occasional 1RM check) is in a cluster format, where you try to see how many you can do in, say, 10 minutes. But even in that context I am not using over 80%.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote