View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #12
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamazav View Post

10.2% may have "debilitating back injuries," but, according to my back doctor, nearly 80% have some sort of disc issue in their life time. Like Abaddon, squats have helped my back. When I do feel the effects of compression, as I have recently, I change things up and front squat, hack squat or Jefferson Squat alond with some decompression stretches to relieve the compression.

As a home trainer, I have found some useful stuff on Scooby's site. Like anything on the internet, you have to question everything and use what is good and chuck what sucks. This video will be chucked... it sucks!
Scooby does have some interesting information.

Regarding back, I think I probably would have had problems if it were not for lifting.

I guess my big point here wasn't so much about the squats. It was about researching things that are said. I came across his anti-establishment message and thought to myself, hey, this might be a good reference site. And then I saw his stats and felt let down.

Working in the industry you learn about limits and reasonable stats and goals. You also learn that naturals bodybuilders do as well. Experienced naturals, competitors or not, sooner or later learn that 235 at 8% bodyfat isn't happening unless you are 6'10".

Sure, I understand he might be the world's worst caliper reader.

Again, my larger point is that every information source on the web, no matter how good it sounds, needs to be referenced.

Are squats worse for your knees than leg presses? Research.
Can you become 8% bodyfat at 235? Research.

The way things get muddled in this industry is that 90% of the forum hoppers read or listen to something like this, don't research, and we get madness and confusion. Then folks wonder why everyone has dissenting opinions.

Research.

And never take my word for things. Research my philosophies as well. My need to be right is never greater than my desire for someone to succeed.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-28-2011 at 08:14 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote