Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Depends on one's bodytype. An obese person would probably have a better chance of pulling this off than a skinny person.

Pretty tough to do. Impossible? I don't know. Not very likely though. Think about it. You're having to fight two conflicting battles at once. Hopefully others will chime in, but my experience says, "No."

Probably as a beginner, you should concern yourself with getting as strong as possible. If you're eating properly, this will undoubtedly lead to weight gain. And yes, some of that weight will be fat. But if you're getting stronger, some of that weight gain will be muscle. Muscle, being an active tissue, needs calories to survive and grow. Some of those calories will come from stored fat. The (perhaps oversimplified) takeaway is: the more active muscle tissue, the easier it is to lose the accumulated fat.

Now, all that being said, you don't HAVE to turn into a tub of goo, like yours truly. A sound and consistant lifting program combined with a SENSIBLE hyper-caloric diet, and even moderate cardio exercise should keep fat gain to a minimum.

For a beginner, though I still say to lift and eat to grow. Maybe leave the beach body for next summer. To qoute Rippetoe, "What's the use of having a six-pack unless you have a chest to put it in?"

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote