Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post
having problems with the cleans on SS so i think I might start this 5x5 workout

does this look ok?

day1
squat 5x5
bench 5x5
barbel rows 5x5
standing calve raises 3x12
shrugs 3x12 (MAYBE DROP THIS)

day2
deadlift 5x5
overhead press 5x5
dips 3x10 (MOVE TO DAY ONE)
barbel curls 3x12 (DROP THIS - DO CHINUPS 3xFAILURE)
abs
I know this is getting off the original topic (frequency of squats/deadlifts). But upon further review of your proposed program, how about substituting some chinups instead of bicep curls. Your back will thank you, as it is a vertical pull (just like cleans), and your biceps will get some activity too. I know they're not a glamorous exercise. In fact, they can be downright humbling. But if you're willing to move your body through space doing dips, then maybe try moving your body through space doing chinups. Three to five sets to failure a couple times a week ought to do the trick. Maybe move dips to "Day 1" and chinups to "Day 2". I'd start with the underhand grip as it seems easier to me. Don't worry if you're like me and can barely do one rep. Just grab a bar and pull. If you can only get a partial rep, hold it for a few seconds. Your strength will eventually increase, and your back will look awesome.

This is not at all intended to be Gospel, just a suggestion. I stand by my earlier comment that what you proposed looked good.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote