Viking Warrior
Max Brawn
Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64 Points: 9,101, Level: 64
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Training Exp: 10 years
Training Type: 5x5
Fav Exercise: Bench Press
Fav Supp: Meat
big valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beastbig valsalva is a lifting beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by abett07 View Post
having problems with the cleans on SS so i think I might start this 5x5 workout

does this look ok?

day1
squat 5x5
bench 5x5
barbel rows 5x5
standing calve raises 3x12
shrugs 3x12

day2
deadlift 5x5
overhead press 5x5
dips 3x10
barbel curls 3x12
abs
I suppose that looks OK. Is the rest of the SS program working for you? If the rest of it is good, I'd keep the program, and just address the issue of cleans. If it is a form problem, I'm the last to help you. If it is just a weight problem, try resetting back 10% or so. My simple solution, would be to bail on the cleans until someone could help me out on technique. For now, substitute in Pendlay rows. Not an exact substitution, I know, but they still work the jeepers out of your back.

Otherwise, what you have posted looks reasonable. Please keep in mind to give priority to your compound moves (squat, BP, deadlift, overhead press). Don't get caught up in carving out abs, or perfecting your "bicept peak." Those things will come in time. Focus on the main lifts. If recovery, fatigue, time, or any other limiting factor comes into play, MAKE SURE TO DO THE BIG LIFTS. Set aside the curls, calves, and shrugs for another day.

You're well on your way to being able to think things through. We like that here. Keep it up.

Cancer Survivor - 7/21/10

Benchmark 5K time: 27:45 (3/5/11)

It's not the weight we move, but the people we move that matters. -- Bearded Beast of Duloc (12/31/10)
big valsalva is offline   Reply With Quote