View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 12:58 AM   #2
BendtheBar
Bearded Beast of Duloc
Max Brawn
Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100 Points: 1,554,481, Level: 100
Activity: 49% Activity: 49% Activity: 49%

Training Exp: 20+ years
Training Type: Powerbuilding
Fav Exercise: Deadlift
Fav Supp: Butter
BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!BendtheBar is one with Crom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post

I have a couple of questions. The first is what would be best for me to do to get to achieve my goals?
Hi Wevie. Let's see if we can get you rocking in the right direction.

First and foremost you need to find a lifting program that fits your schedule, and that you will enjoy performing. Unless you are focusing on some form of progressive resistance, it will be nearly impossible to cut fat while retaining or gaining muscle.

Without progression on basic heavy compound lifts you will lose muscle and fat at the same time, making it hard to get ripped and hard to look good.

Second, you need to get your diet nailed down. A poor diet will yield poor results. My recommendation:

1) About 180-200 grams of protein per day, split into meals about every 2.5 to 3 hours.
2) 25-30% of your calories from fat.
3) The rest of your calories from carb sources, with a sizable amount of them eaten first thing in the morning and post-workout.

Calorie wise, you want to lose about 1.5 to 2 pounds per week. Any more than this and you are sacrificing more muscle than you want to. You have to find a calorie level that allows you to lose weight at this rate. If you are not sure, start around 2300 to 2500 calories per day. The first week you might lose more weight than normal due to lower than normal carb intake.

If after week 2 you are losing weight too rapidly, add about 300 more daily calories. if you aren't losing weight at ll, drop the calorie intake by 300 per day.

Once a week allow yourself an hour to eat whatever you want. Call this this the sanity, re-feed window.

This combination of a solid diet and progressive resistance on heavy compound lifts will get you started in the right direction. Minor changes may have to be made as you learn how your body is responding.

Quote:
My other question is about supplements. What would be good for me? You can ask 100 people those two questions and get at least 95 different answers it seems .

I have been taking 1400mg fish oil, GNC Sport multivitamin, and complex B plus C

I also drink one scoop of M5 Extreme creatine about 45 minutes before working out as well as one scoop of whey protein mixed with one cup of skim milk before and after workout.

On the days I lift, I am lifting and then doing cardio but I'm not even sure that I am doing that in the right order. I have just read something about drinking a recovery drink after lifting and before cardio so my muscles can begin recovering but what should that be?
Supplements...

You have a good base. Fish oil and a quality multivitamin are foundations, especially when cutting. I also recommend while trying to lose fat that you consider BCAAs and or Scivation Xtend. BCAAs have helped me retain muscle mass on cuts.

I have run experiments and have seen a noticeable improvement on muscle retention using BCAAs. I don't use a lot, but I do generally take them with protein shakes that I drink in between major meals.

Scivation Xtend can help with recovery and muscle soreness, and is relatively inexpensive and a proven, quality supplement.

Creatine is cheap and rarely a bad idea. Whey before and after workout is a solid choice.

The debates may rage over the above supplementation, but I can tell you this...I work in the industry. I train with, talk to and film the biggest and baddest natural lifters on a daily basis. They all use the above supplementation and it never lets them down. I use these basics and they never let me down. And they are pretty inexpensive.

They aren't miracle products, they fill in the cracks and helps with health and recovery.

Quote:
Anyway, I will shut up now. Any advice or opinions is greatly appreciated. I am really serious and dedicated since I have the time so I want to really get it right.

One more thing. I know how to eat and what to eat but how many calories a day should I eat in order to cut weight and gain muscle or is that even possible? If not, can I at least maintain the muscle I do have? My BMR intake is about 1900 calories.
A BMR of 1900 seems way too low. At your height and weight I am guessing you maintain around 2700-3000 calories per day, depending on age. See my above recommendations for calories.

As far as a workout, I strongly suggest a fullbody approach of some sorts. We have some great programs on the site. I listed quite a few in this thread:

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/ful...kout-help.html

Which one you choose really isn't as important as sticking to it and pushing for more weight on the bar.

Destroy That Which Destroys You

"Let bravery be thy choice, but not bravado."

Last edited by BendtheBar; 04-14-2011 at 01:02 AM.
BendtheBar is offline   Reply With Quote