View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
Mombow111
Uber Brawn
Points: 1,550, Level: 22 Points: 1,550, Level: 22 Points: 1,550, Level: 22
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Mombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good postsMombow111 has made some good posts

Use the generic routines as a model, experiment with them but keep the basic elements (never change more than one or 2 things per month I'd say). When you get tired of one, try another one that's radically different. Develop a repertoire of routines and gather knowledge about how your body responds along the way. Look for movements, rep schemes/ranges YOU enjoy doing primarily. A lot of people take exercises that completely obliterate their muscles, I prefer movements that my body is naturally good at and that leave me capable of important daily tasks such as walking, bending over etc. .

Ever since I got back to lifting around christmas I've been doing a push/pull/squat variation essentially (though it's more a push/pull, pull/squat, push/squat) and have slowly permutated from a 8x3 to a 5x5 to pretty much chaos and pain ranges now. I love it because I can choose from 5-10 heavy compound exercises, finish my 2-3 major exercises quickly (I find I recover much more quicker from a set of 3 than a set of 8), and still have time to do whatever else I want to do in the gym that day. The routine I follow might seem loose, but it offers enough latitude than I could go to the gym sore as hell and still have a great/enjoyable workout.
Mombow111 is offline   Reply With Quote